Differences with TouchDesigner on macOS
- In most cases where one would use the "ctrl" modifier key on Windows, macOS uses the "cmd" key.
- Common main menu items and macOS system wide shortcuts are respected where possible. For example, the location and keyboard shortcut for TouchDesigner Preferences... is 'macOS-like'.
- The scroll wheel actions are inverted compared to Windows (by default), but this can be set in macOS with System Preferences > Mouse > Scroll Direction: Natural
- TouchPlayer is distributed using a separate installer on macOS. Scroll down after following this link Download macOS TouchPlayer
- CodeMeter Runtime for USB Licensing Dongles is a separate installer on macOS. Download it here Download macOS CodeMeter
- You can run multiple builds of TouchDesigner easily on macOS by simply putting the TouchDesigner application in a different folder or by renaming the TouchDesigner.app file (so it doesn't overwrite the existing build).
Limitations and Known Issues
- Operators not functioning yet but in the works.
- Shared Mem OPs
- Web Render TOP
- GLSL TOP and GLSL MAT highest supported GLSL version is 4.10.
- Text TOP - Only renders text in Bitmap mode for now.
- Line Width parameter in Materials (MATs) has no effect.
- DMX Out CHOP - ENTTEC USB Pro not connecting automatically. To fix this, entering this command in the Terminal.
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI
- Multiple Instances - You can only launch 1 TouchDesigner process at a time.
- You can launch a second TD process from inside a TD process using ui.viewFile() from the UI Class.
- Geometry COMP - Texture Instancing is not currently supported by Apple's OpenGL drivers. (you can use 'Replace Texture' mode and offset textures using w, but the 'Instance Textures' and 'Texture Index' parameters are not supported)
- 3D Viewers and SOP Modeler
- Selection of geometry not working
- SOP Modeler not working yet
- SymbolPicker doesn't render
- Operators that are not supported on macOS.
- Kinect OPs
- RealSense CHOP
- DirectX TOPs
- Oculus Rift OPs
- OpenVR OPs
- Scalable Display TOP
- NatNet CHOP
- SVG TOP
You can find the crash reports via Applications->Utilities->Console. The Crash reports will be under User Reports and named TouchDesigner099_date-xxx.crash.
An Operator Family that creates, composites and modifies images, and reads/writes images and movies to/from files and the network. TOPs run on the graphics card's GPU.
An Operator Family that associates a shader with a SOP or Geometry Object for rendering textured and lit objects.
TOuch Environment file, the file type used by TouchDesigner to save your project.
(1) A Geometry Component can render its SOP geometry many times using CHOP samples, (2) an OP that doesn't actually have its own data, but rather just refers to an OP (or has an input) whose data it uses. This includes Null OPs, Select OPs and Switch OPs.
An Operator Family that reads, creates and modifies 3D polygons, curves, NURBS surfaces, spheres, meatballs and other 3D surface data.
A built-in panel in TouchDesigner that contains a library of components and media that can be dragged-dropped into a TouchDesigner network.