Output to Multiple Monitors
Multiple monitors are also known as: second monitor, multi-monitors, right monitor, dual monitors, multi-display.
TouchDesigner can send video out to multiple projectors, monitors and recorders. TouchDesigner can run single-monitor or across many monitors.
All graphics cards now let you have two+ monitors. The easiest way to get video on 3 to 6 monitors is to use Geforce 980 GTX and up, Quadro 4000 and up, equivalent AMD Radeon cards, along with QuadHead2Go or Datapath X4 monitor expansion devices.
Laptops all have different multi-monitor capabilites based on the manufacturer's specifications. Sometimes a laptop will have many output connections but still have limitations on the number of monitors it can drive simutaneously. Refer to the specifications for your specific laptop to understand its capabilities.
Spanning Monitors for Best Performance
TouchDesigner will run fastest in Perform Mode if you combine all your panels into one canvas that spans across all your monitors. This can be done easily with Container COMPs, then by assigning this to the Window COMP that is set for Perform Mode in the Window Placement Dialog.
Example for two 1920x1080 monitors File:PerformMode Windows.toe
- On the Desktop background, rightclick -> Display Settings -> Multiple Displays -> Extend These Displays.
- System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement -> Mirror Displays = Off.
To allow monitor spanning on macOS, make sure the following is also set
- System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Displays have separate Spaces = Off
Additional Setup Tips
- Window Placement Dialog can be used to quickly assign Perform mode to different Window COMPs, and adjust parameters, jump to the network, and open/close the windows.
- Perform Mode can be turned On and Off with the Shortcut keys F1 (On) and Esc (Off).
- The Always on Top parameter in the Window COMP forces TouchDesigner to always be the top-most visible window.