TouchDesigner can import and export most common media file formats. Files can be loaded into TouchDesigner by:
- Drag-and-Drop: Drag a file directly into TouchDesigner and drop it to automatically create an OP or a component.
- Open With... menu: Right-click on a TouchDesigner supported file in Windows and select Open With...->TouchDesigner 0xx to launch TouchDesigner with the file pre-loaded.
- Load a file using Operators like Movie File In TOP, File In CHOP, File In SOP, Audio File In CHOP. Files can be loaded from disk or from the web using http://file-url.
- Start TouchDesigner using the operating system shell command
touchdesigner filename.ext, which will start TouchDesigner with your file pre-loaded.
Native TouchDesigner Files
TouchDesigner has three native files types:
- .toe: TouchDesigner Environment files are the default file type for creating projects.
- .tox: TouchDesigner Component files let you save out components. .tox files enable the re-use and portability of component libraries.
- .tog: TouchDesigner Geometry files are exports of other geometry types in a native TouchDesigner format.
|File Type||Supported Extensions||Operator Type|
||Audio File In CHOP, Audio Play CHOP, File In CHOP|
||Movie File In TOP|
||Movie File In TOP|
||Point File In TOP|
|Geometry and Scene||
||USD COMP, FBX COMP, Geometry COMP, File In SOP, Alembic SOP|
||File In CHOP|
||File In SOP|
||MIDI In CHOP|
||Text TOP, Text SOP|
The Movie File In TOP also supports audio embedded in a movie. Tip: Tie an Audio Movie CHOP to the Movie File In TOP to get the audio, then an Audio Device Out CHOP to play it. An Info CHOP attached to either operator gives extra inside info.
|File Type||Supported Extensions||Operator Type or Dialog|
||Save File on RMB menu|
||File -> Create Movie, RMB menu|
||Movie File Out TOP, File -> Create Movie|
||File -> Save Env|
|Component and Scene||
||File -> Save, RMB menu components|
||File Out CHOP, RMB menu|
|MIDI||MIDI Out CHOP|
Any component can be extended with its own Python classes which contain python functions and data.
Each SOP has a list of Points. Each point has an XYZ 3D position value plus other optional attributes. Each polygon Primitive is defined by a vertex list, which is list of point numbers.
The OpenGL code that creates a rendered image from polygons and textures. Shaders can be made of up to three parts: Vertex Shader, Geometry Shader and/or Pixel Shader, which are either embedded inside Materials, or placed in Text DATs and referenced to a GLSL Material.
An Operator Family that creates, composites and modifies images, and reads/writes images and movies to/from files and the network. TOPs run on the graphics card's GPU.
TOuch Environment file, the file type used by TouchDesigner to save your project.