TouchDesigner can import and export most common media file formats. Files can be loaded into TouchDesigner by:
- Drag-and-Drop: Drag a file directly into TouchDesigner and drop it to automatically create an OP or a component.
- Open With... menu: Right-click on a TouchDesigner supported file in Windows and select Open With...->TouchDesigner 0xx to launch TouchDesigner with the file pre-loaded.
- Load a file using Operators like Movie File In TOP, File In CHOP, File In SOP, Audio File In CHOP. Files can be loaded from disk or from the web using http://file-url.
- Start TouchDesigner using the operating system shell command
touchdesigner filename.ext, which will start TouchDesigner with your file pre-loaded.
Native TouchDesigner Files
TouchDesigner has three native files types:
- .toe: TouchDesigner Environment files are the default file type for creating projects.
- .tox: TouchDesigner Component files let you save out components. .tox files enable the re-use and portability of component libraries.
- .tog: TouchDesigner Geometry files are exports of other geometry types in a native TouchDesigner format.
|File Type||Supported Extensions||Operator Type|
||Audio File In CHOP, Audio Play CHOP, File In CHOP|
||Movie File In TOP|
||Movie File In TOP|
|Geometry and Scene||
||File In CHOP|
||File In SOP|
||MIDI In CHOP|
||Text TOP, Text SOP|
The Movie File In TOP also supports audio embedded in a movie. Tip: Tie an Audio Movie CHOP to the Movie File In TOP to get the audio, then an Audio Device Out CHOP to play it. An Info CHOP attached to either operator gives extra inside info.
|File Type||Supported Extensions||Operator Type or Dialog|
||Save File on RMB menu|
||File -> Create Movie, RMB menu|
||Movie File Out TOP, File -> Create Movie|
||File -> Save Env|
|Component and Scene||
||File -> Save, RMB menu components|
||File Out CHOP, RMB menu|
|MIDI||MIDI Out CHOP|
An that contains its own inside. There are twelve 3D and eight 2D types. See also .
TouchDesigner Component file, the file type used to save a from TouchDesigner.
Any component can be extended with its own Python classes which contain python functions and data.
The OpenGL code that creates a rendered image from polygons and textures. Shaders can be made of up to three parts: Vertex Shader, Geometry Shader and/or Pixel Shader, which are either embedded inside Materials, or placed in Text DATs and referenced to a GLSL Material.
A set of commands located in a Text DAT that are triggered to run under certain conditions. There are two scripting languages in TouchDesigner: and the original . Scripts and single-line commands can also be run in the .
An that creates, composites and modifies images, and reads/writes images and movies to/from files and the network. TOPs run on the graphics card's GPU.
Any floating window that is not a or .
TOuch Environment file, the file type used by TouchDesigner to save your project.
A outputs one or more channels, where a channel is simply a sequence of numbers, representing motion, audio, etc. Channels are passed between CHOPs in TouchDesigner networks. See also .
The 3D data held in SOPs and passed for rendering by the .